Saturday, April 9, 2016

Machines and Memories

So a couple of years ago (yes YEARS!) my mom gave me her old sewing machine and cabinet to sell in a yard sale.  The entire time it sat in the yard I secretly hoped no one would buy it.  My husband and I agreed that anything that didn't sell would go to the Goodwill.  Well, the sewing machine did not sell.  But as always, it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind so I now have this beauty sitting in my basement.


Yes.  I know.  It is not a "beauty,"  but this is the first sewing machine I ever used.  Used is a loose term....

Somewhere I have a picture of me when I was about 4 standing on top of this cabinet with a silver microphone, you know the 70's stereo mic, singing, "My hearts on fire, for Elvira! Giddy Up, Oom Poppa Oom Pappa Mow Mow..."  If I ever find the picture, I will be sure to post it.

Over the years it has been a drawing table, night stand, props in many childhood games.  I remember one time my sister lost a pair of earrings.  My mom and I helped her search all over the house for them.  I finally found them in the thick carpet by one of the feet of this sewing machine.

It is kind of like one of those trick boxes that you press a secret lock to get it to open.  If you try to just open it the top hits the edge of the opening.


So in order to get it to open, I have to slightly open the bobbin threader compartment, which allows the machine to clear the opening.


To be perfectly honest I am not really sure I would know how to use it even if it was in perfect working condition.  I mean seriously.  What in the world is this?



Here are some pictures that show the different parts.



It really needs a good cleaning and an overhaul.  I haven't gotten around to taking it to the shop yet since I bought myself one a while back that I really love.


My sewing machine is super easy to use and is mobile.  So for now, mom's machine will sit in my basement and wait for me to get around to cleaning it up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment